Change is Good

I’ve been a Colorado boy my entire life.  One year ago, if you would have told me I would ever leave Aspen, I would have said you were crazy.  If you told me I would leave to chase a girl to a major metropolitan area, I would have laughed in your face.  It’s amazing how quickly things can change.

I’m moving to the Bay Area next month, not only to chase girl, but also to chase a dream.  For the last three years I’ve been a proud employee of The Little Nell Hotel and the Aspen Skiing Company.  The opportunities, experiences, and friendships I’ve gained during my tenure are truly invaluable and will survive long after my final day at the office.  Last Thursday I quit my job in order to focus full time on running.  I realize I only have one chance to make this work, so I intend to take full advantage of the opportunity.

While I’m obviously very excited about the direction my life is heading, I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t also very nervous.  I turn 27 later this month and I’ve never lived more than a four hour drive from my mom and dad.  I’m leaving behind a very comfortable, career oriented job that pays me well and supports my passions.  I’m leaving a small town with many friends, in favor of a big city of strangers.  I’m leaving elevation, I’m leaving familiarity and I’m leaving home. All these things have weighed heavily on me, but my current emotion is one of overwhelming stoke.  Change, like Ultrarunning, is inherently uncomfortable.  Maybe this discomfort is exactly what I need.

I’ve always admired my older brother, Jason, who makes his living as a yoga instructor.  He spends his life practicing his passion and makes a good living in the process.  He’s worked hard to get to where he is, but it’s always been a labor of love – something which, I’m sure, doesn’t really feel like work.  Meanwhile, I’ve been sweating at the Hotel, working fifty hour weeks, while simultaneously trying to train to race at a high level.  When I started at The Little Nell, running was simply a hobby that absolutely took a backseat to my career.  Over the last few years though, the power of my experiences on the trail has transformed this hobby into a devoted lifestyle that can no longer take a backseat to anything.  Like Jason, I want my passion to be the focal point of my life.  I must do this now or I’ll regret it forever.

It just so happened that Jason was experiencing his own restlessness, and was compelled to move to the Bay Area himself just couple weeks ago.  He arrived just in time to drop all his belongings at the house we’ll share, and drive to Yosemite for a ten day silent Vipassana meditation, which he completed on Sunday.  It will be great to have him out there, and to share this transitional period of our lives together.

One of the things I’m most looking forward to is the chance to fall in with the vibrant San Francisco running community.  I look forward to training with all my talented friends that call the area home, and to meeting many new friends along the way.  I’m really looking forward to racing the Miwok 100k in May as my official baptism to the local trail system that will be my training grounds for the foreseeable future.  I also intend to get out to the Sierras for many long days, including a heavy training camp, in preparation for the Big Dance.   In short, I’m just very excited to explore a lot Northern California on foot.  It is truly a hotbed of running talent and opportunity.

Finally, I’d just like to say that, without the unbelievable support I receive from Pearl Izumi, this endeavor would be a complete impossibility.  The confidence they have in me is truly humbling and inspires me to be the best athlete and person I possibly can.  I can’t believe how fortunate I am.

I guess I should mention that I won’t be a total gypsy though.  While training will be my focus, I will also have a job that I’m equally excited about.  It just became official so I’ll address it further in a future post.  For now its time to tie up loose ends, work my notice, and train like a machine.  Change is good.  Life is good.  Fire it up.

42 Responses

1. No offense Dylan, but unless you make a quick update on your blog about how amazing and awesome this girl is you’re following out there your first night’s sleep in SF might be on the couch. Ha. Good luck. Hopefully we’ll cross paths at future races.

March 6, 2013 at 6:59 pm

• I thought the same thing Craig!

March 7, 2013 at 5:08 am

• dylan

Haha! Trust me Craig, she realizes that I think she’s awesome. I’m moving across the country for her. That should keep me out of the dog house for a while! :)

March 7, 2013 at 6:34 pm

2. Koop

Good for you! Dream big and make it happen!

March 6, 2013 at 7:19 pm

• dylan

Thanks Koop! Good to hear from you. Hope all is well!

March 7, 2013 at 6:34 pm

3. BigIceey

How many fish tacos before you become and ultra-longboarder?

March 6, 2013 at 7:21 pm

• dylan

Bro. Obviously already working on my Deep V collection. Also, wanna buy any Bogner?

March 7, 2013 at 6:36 pm

4. abel

have a awesome journey!

March 6, 2013 at 8:17 pm

• dylan

Thanks Abel. Be in touch!

March 7, 2013 at 6:36 pm

5. Awesome bro! Enjoy everything SF has to offer — you’ll love a change :)

March 6, 2013 at 8:47 pm

• dylan

Thanks Trim! You get my email? I suspect I might be going to your junk folder?

March 7, 2013 at 6:37 pm

6. Harmony

Ill have to agree with Craig.

March 6, 2013 at 8:59 pm

March 7, 2013 at 6:37 pm

7. TK

This is an awesome post. It resonates with me on so many levels and even though it means we likely won’t be sharing many miles or summits this summer I’m so psyched for you and know you’re doing the right thing. Your legs are only good for so long, and the right ladies are important. It inspires me to see you not succumb to inertia and instead devote yourself to both.

See ya out there, dude.

March 6, 2013 at 9:11 pm

• dylan

Thanks bud. Good to hear from you. I’ll be in Boulder the first weekend in April for probably 4 or 5 days. Let’s get together. I’ll email you.

March 7, 2013 at 6:39 pm

8. Carroll Christman

Crying right now. So proud of you and happy for you and for your nestling in with both your girl and your big bro. Beautiful tribute to Jason and beautiful writing about your passion! Big love; miss you already.

March 6, 2013 at 9:13 pm

• dylan

You’re the best, Mom. Love you.

March 7, 2013 at 6:39 pm

9. Awesome! Change is great.
    Whew…the Bay Area just got even more competitive!

March 6, 2013 at 10:51 pm

• dylan

Thanks a ton Eric! I’ve gotten so many nice messages from local runners already. Really looking forward to it. Love everything about what you do, by the way. Great stuff.

March 7, 2013 at 6:41 pm

10. YEAAAA!!! Pumped to have you out and show you the trails. This is an amazing place to call home. Safe travels and let us know what we can do to help.

March 7, 2013 at 1:00 am

• dylan

Thanks Brett! Can’t wait to check out the store and get out with you guys. I’ll be in touch!

March 7, 2013 at 6:43 pm

11. Way to go Dylan! I too left Aspen to chase after a passion and am proof that if you put everything you have into it you will get that much an more back. Run after your dream (literally :-)) you deserve it!! xoxo

March 7, 2013 at 1:32 am

• P.S. – can’t believe I haven’t made your blogroll. Joking. Good luck out there in San Fran. I sure will miss you, but you are gonna kill it! Love ya brother.

March 7, 2013 at 5:11 am

• dylan

Haha! You’re so Hollywood! A huge iRunFar article?

Finally got you on the blogroll, BTW. Let’s get out soon!

March 7, 2013 at 6:47 pm

• dylan

Awesome advice! Thanks Sarah!

March 7, 2013 at 6:44 pm

12. Pingback: Daily News, Thurs, Mar 7

13. Vargo

Good for you, man. Change is always good and following your passion is truly what it’s all about. I went the opposite route as you. (Indiana) to Cali to Colorado in order to train a lot and work a little. You will love the trails on the west coast!

March 7, 2013 at 2:21 pm

• dylan

Thanks for the comment Vargo! Open to any and all advice you have on can’t miss West Coast routes!

March 7, 2013 at 6:49 pm

14. Great to have you!

March 7, 2013 at 4:45 pm

• dylan

Wow, thanks for reading Scott! Look forward to seeing you out there!

March 7, 2013 at 6:50 pm

15. Gary Gellin

Looking forward to playing tour guide. Hopefully your new gig will allow you some time for midweek runs. You won’t believe the size of the trail network in my backyard. However, I no longer look forward to Miwok after reading your post.

March 8, 2013 at 12:08 am

• dylan

Haha! Midweek runs are my specialty, Gary. Really looking forward to getting out with you!

March 9, 2013 at 4:33 pm

16. Timmy o

So happy for you bro!
    Change teaches us much along the way. Happy you found a sweet girl to share your journey with.
    Enjoy the running community in SF, it’s popping, and come visit Ashland any time you like for some good training.
    Looking forward to running the big dance with you.

Peace,
    T

March 9, 2013 at 3:59 pm

• dylan

Thanks Timmy! Very excited. Loosely planning a ski ascent/descent of Shasta with some Aspen folks in the spring and was thinking about swinging through your hood. I’ll email you!

March 9, 2013 at 4:36 pm

17. This is great!! A wonderful new chapter.

March 19, 2013 at 12:08 pm

18. David

Nice Post Shredbo.
    Get comfortable with being uncomfortable “D”, like you have experienced in so many races. Take care brother, you will be missed a ton by the “Aspen Gang”!

March 20, 2013 at 9:00 am

19. DJ

Proud of you DBO!

April 2, 2013 at 4:03 am

20. Greetings from Los angeles! I’m bored to tears at work so I decided to check out your blog on my iphone during lunch break. I really like the info you present here and can’t wait to take a look when
    I get home. I’m surprised at how fast your blog loaded on my cell phone .. I’m not even using WIFI, just 3G .
    . Anyways, good blog!

Review my web site :: Moving Company Costs San Francisco

April 17, 2013 at 5:57 am

21. Henriette Forsyth

Vipassana is a way of self-transformation through self-observation. It focuses on the deep interconnection between mind and body, which can be experienced directly by disciplined attention to the physical sensations that form the life of the body, and that continuously interconnect and condition the life of the mind. It is this observation-based, self-exploratory journey to the common root of mind and body that dissolves mental impurity, resulting in a balanced mind full of love and compassion. ..^….

Remember to stop by our favorite blog site <http://picturesofherpes.co

July 9, 2013 at 10:03 am

22. What about leaving? Well, I can get back to real life, don’t have to subject myself to this, and can continue meditating for a few minutes every day if I want. I don’t think I really want the promised outcome of the course, though.

July 31, 2013 at 5:48 pm

23. I really like your blog.. very nice colors & theme.
    Did you design this website yourself or did you hire someone to do it
    for you? Plz reply as I’m looking to construct my own blog and would like to know where u got this from.

thanks a lot

April 14, 2014 at 10:34 am

24. These are actually enormous ideas in regarding blogging.
    You have touched some good things here. Any way keep up wrinting.

Feel free to visit my webpage chef movie free

April 23, 2014 at 9:27 am